Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Venezia

Shared a compartment on the train with a couple of Italian newlyweds on at the end of their "wedding tour". Arrived in Venice after another long sleepless train ride. Couldn't sleep lest I miss changing trains in Bolgna. Took the shuttle to the camping ground and checked in. Tried to sleep, but the sun was beating down on the tent. Even though I was dead tired I decided to go for a walk. Maybe I can find something interesting or even a good market. Walked a couple of miles in one direction and the only thing I came across was a gas station which didn't even have a soda machine! Headed back and did a mile in the other direction. Again, nothing! I saw a sign for McDonald's and tried to find it since I figured I deserved at least an icecream cone for my efforts, but alas I couldn't find that either. Empty handed, I returned to camp. Took a refreshing swim and relaxed by the pool until the sun abated, but by that time I figured it would be better just to stay up a while longer and go to bed early. So I grabbed my journal, took a table and began sipping wine and writing. Around 9:30 I was just about finishing up and getting ready to head off to bed when an Aussie girl (Collette) came over and asked if I'd like to join there table of about 14 travelers. Well, I couldn't be rude so I accepted. Around an hour later we learned there was to be a Pasta Party (Free food) at midnight. Well so much for getting to bed early. Chatted with everyone and watched the Liverpool vs. Milan football championship (Liv. won in a shootout). I got to the "Pasta Party" at 12:15 and it was all gone! Some Party!!! Danced for a few times and then crashed hard in the tent.
Took the bus to Venice to check things out. Everyone gets lost in Venice. I didn't! Because I didn't really care where I went. Just roamed around and when I saw a sign for San Marco's Plaza (main) I headed in that direction. Finally got a homestyle slices of pizza here. Stopped at the Vivaldi exhibition. They had some interesting historical information and instruments from 17th-20th century. Some bizarre instruments I had never even seen before. With some nice Vivaldi playing in the background I learned that "Four Seasons" is one of the most performed classical pieces ever! And apparently he was from a very poor family and spent his life chasing money. He faired very well in that department, but lived it up and left nothing. Eventually I came to the Grand Canal and San Marco's Plaza. Both nice, big and picturesque. Thousands of pigeons and people posing for pics with them on their arms and shoulders. Suprisingly not much pigeon shit though! After wandering all day I caught the bus back with a young Aussie couple who were on the bus in the morning and looked as tired as I was. The next morning I wanted to meet up with Lisa (Tuscany) so I thought I'd walk to the train station, buy a ticket onward to Croatia and go into Venice again. I thought it would take about an 1hr-1.5hr. I was wrong. After 2.5 hours I was asking for bus directions to the train station. By the time I got back to camp the afternoon was pretty much shot so I hung out at the pool, ate a pizza and then grabbed a table to write in the journal. Shortly a couple of Americans were looking for seats so I offered Mike & Andy (N.C.) a place to sit. Soon their travel buddies: Sarah (Mike's girl), Emily (her sister) and Velvet (Canada) joined us and we all had a nice evening. Venice was nice. But you don't need much time there unless you're doing the romance thing.
Off to Croatia.....

No comments: