Sunday, June 23, 2013

Searching for King Kong in the Empire State

June 2013



Well for all of you who passed geography you know that heading west out of Vermont lands you smack dab in New York State. Now if I could only remember back to those geography classes and recall from which empire it derived the nickname "Empire State"

Eastern New York State is home to Saratoga Springs, but for those who prefer to stay dry and have an interest in history or warfare there is the Saratoga National Historic Park. It, of course, commemorates the turning point of the American Revolution. I don't have a burning interest in either war or early American history per se, but I  enjoyed the park and would recommend a visit if you're in the area. You can walk, bike or drive around the battlefields and listen to the historical recordings at the 10 different highlighted points. You can even dial up further narrations on your cell phone while checking out the revolutionary canons and studying the war tactics and battle lines as they were actually formed back in those most critical times of 'these here United States of America'.  

Additionally, there are the various monuments to some civil war soldiers including the "Unknown Boot Memorial" commemorating the bravery of Benedict Arnold who was shot in the leg during the battle of Saratoga. That was prior to his infamous act of treason when he conspired to turn over West Point to the British. Apparently monuments are irrevocable.


National War Memorial
Sticking with the theme of the day, war and its results, I paid a visit to the National Cemetery of Saratoga which is always a somber expedition. To complete the trifecta for the day I also visited the National War Memorial located at a "Non-National" cemetery. As I was taken some photos of an intriguing Vault built into a hill I was approached by the current president of the cemetery and official grounds keeper who happened to be mowing the lawns nearby. He asked if I would like to see the inside of the vault which was used to hold caskets until such a time as they could be buried. Sometimes holding the dead weeks or months until the weather allowed for their burial. Although I knew it was no longer used I was none the less eager to have a rare peek inside such an edifice. One can never know what to expect in such a situation, but I half expected to enter and have my hairs stand up, sense ghosts, or maybe be taken aback by an unusual smell or feel of the place. Surprisingly the experience was more or less blasé, but I still felt privileged to have been granted entrance and according to my host I'm one of very few to capture the interior photographically.  

Purgatory?

An Ithaca Fall.
My original plans from there were to head to Niagara Falls. Although the weather there is always dodgy the next few days were shaping up to be particularly unpleasant. Since I didn't feel like subjecting my cameras to anymore downpours I decided to skip the falls to try and gain some momentum heading west. 

My momentum was curbed when I made a pit stop in Ithaca to visit some friends I acquired while on the job. Matt and Marcy own a couple of restaurants in Ithaca and I just happened to have married them on the yacht I was captaining for the last few years. Well, I didn't actually "Marry them", the minister did that. But they did get married on my watch and I did happen to do double duty as their wedding photographer. 

Fighting some insane traffic due to construction in the small downtown area I started to stress about whether or not I would make it to the gas station before the fumes ran out. Luckily I did make it and to my surprise the gas station even had micro beers on tap!! Just in case I needed to calm my nerves I guess. College towns!

I mainly popped in just thinking I'd say hello, get a bite to eat at the "Mahogany Grill" and mosey on, but they wouldn't hear of it. They insisted that I stay at least a few days if not a week or so until my Ex-Boss got back into town. Well, I couldn't say no, so I did spend a few days there having some nice dinners, checking out the various waterfalls of the area, attending a couple of parties and getting introductions to some of Ithaca's most eligible bachelorettes. 

Another of Ithaca's Falls.
Unfortunately rainy weather was marching back upon us again so I made the decision to start out again in search of the sun. Once again I managed to slip away unattached. Pointing Mage west I'm full of determination and set my sites for the Heartland......






No comments: