Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Rocky Mountains are Pretty Lame



End of June 2013

Who would want to fly-fish here?
So let me tell you a little about the Rocky Mountain National Park. It's lame! I would really suggest skipping it. There is absolutely no reason to grace them with your presence. Unless you're into abundances of interesting wildlife, effervescent towering snow capped peaks, beautiful refreshing waterfalls and/or lightning shows that make you wish you hadn't given up psychedelics. Other than that, it's seriously lame. That's why I only stayed a week!

The first night after driving a full lap of the meandering park road, scaling its dizzying heights and hair pin switchbacks, I forced myself to take some photos of some lame 14,000+ foot mountains in lame lighting conditions. The next morning I did what would be one of many lame hikes. This first one along Fern Lake Trail up to Fern Falls and on to Cub Lake. I never did see any "Fern Lake" which I thought was totally lame! The next day I drove down to Bear Lake and there were no bears! Lame. Dejected and miserable I hiked to Nymph Lake, then Dream Lake and finally to Emerald Lake. As you can probably guess by their names, they were lame. 

Bullwinkle resting
That evening, not having my fill of misery, I went back to the lakes for what I hope will be some awesome photos, but they'll probably be lame. While out on a crag shooting the sunset a beautiful 10 'pointer' Elk decided to graze for his dinner not more than 30 feet from me. I asked him to come closer, but he ignored my request. So lame.

Trying to get away from the misery that Rocky Mountain National Park is, I was driving to the small town of Glen Haven that night. Luckily the speed limit is 25mph, otherwise I would have definitely obliterated the deer that came within about 2 feet of my front bumper before she did a 180 and narrowly escaped. She was doing an illegal lane change and you know she was probably uninsured and that is super lame.

Marmot
The next morning I had to listen to Hal, a volunteer from Texas, give me a history lesson about the former owners of the only still standing structures within the park. One of these structures being an outhouse with no door. Apparently the Holzworth's, German immigrants, had a sense of humor even if it is a lame crappy joke. Later I hiked up to Adam's Falls and shot the hell out of a moose. He just stared at me like all my shots were missing! Lame!

The following day I hiked the Colorado Trail up to Lulu City. It was so lame I won't bore you with details. 

The animals here are super aggressive ;) This poor guy lost his hand!
I don't know why, but the following day I hiked the North Inlet Trail up to Cascade Falls. There after a warm climb I had to bare the sting of cool mountain water misting me as it cascaded down the Rockies. On top of that I saw 3 huge moose bucks and few feet later a mother with her baby. They were so close to the trail that to pass, I actually had to ask the mother telepathically for permission. Can you believe that!?

Completely depressed I raced the van up to a high elevation in an effort to somehow rescue this trip with some evening sunset photos and all I got for my troubles was a super intense rainbow. And no pot of gold! Lame!

Elk
 I'm so out of here!

The Columbine, Colorado's State flower.


No photos please, I'm having a bad hair day!






No comments: