Friday, August 23, 2013

Shining on Portland and Mr. Hood



Beginning of August 2013

Leaving the Oregon coast, the woods and the mountain trails behind me I ventured back towards civilization. Vectoring myself into Lake Oswego outside of Portland, Oregon I edged my way towards a reunion with an old girlfriend. Actually, I think she was my first girlfriend! Laura and I were the focus of so many rumors back in the day and as anyone with hindsight on those teen years can appreciate, they were mostly bullshit! But I digress.

One of Oregon's innumerable rivers
Actually, amidst those early teens years, when you have no real idea what you are feeling, what you are doing, or for that matter what a "girl" really is, I'm not sure the term "girlfriend" accurately applies. But you get the point and in any case it doesn't diminish that special bond you have with your first "puppy love". 

We ushered each other into the world of the "other sex" and so it was with no surprise that our reunion was met with big smiles and hugs! As well as with the question, "Where the hell do we begin to catch up after some 20+ years since seeing each other last?". Well, that question was never answered, it wasn't necessary. Where 20 years ago there was nervousness and insecurity, today there was simply a comfortable familiarity even after so many years. 
 
So much so that we began our reunion with a night in Portland at the long standing "Dante's Sinferno" which I leave to your imagination and googling prowess and ended a few days later with a leisurely afternoon lazy tube ride floating down the Clikackas River with her lovely daughter (No, no relation to me!) 

Mt. Hood
Not far from Portland is Mt. Hood off to the East. It's hard for me to resist venturing towards anything as majestic as a 2 mile high peak with snow on it during the summer, so off I went. So through the small mountain town of Government Camp I drove and then made a stop at the historic Timberline Resort. If you remember the movie "The Shining" you'll appreciate that this lodge was an inspiration for its location and also used for some of the movie's external shots where Jack Nicholson worked too hard and became a "dull boy".  The lodge itself seemed to me a historical wonder of old craftsmanship and I could imagine that if subjected to some fireside ghost talk one could definitely be led into some neck-hair raising experiences! It certainly had that spooky almost claustrophobic vibe to it!
Timberline Lodge- inspiration for "The Shining"



Unfortunately the weather and perspectives I was privy to at the time amounted to some considerably  less dramatic photographic opportunities of Mt. Hood. I got a few shots that may be worthy of sharing, but in any case,  there will be other extinct volcanoes to photograph in the future. Hell, if I'm lucky, there will be some non extinct volcanoes too!



For Photos and Videos please check out the following links:
Facebook     (A sampling before eventually posting to my Photography website)

No comments: