Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tuscany

Before leaving Florence I inquired about shuttle service at the Tuscany Campground. Only 1 a day and it's at 8:45. Well I won't make that, "how much for a taxi?" 8 euros. Seems kind of steep, I wonder how far it is. Got online and noted it was less than 2km from the train station. Where they get the gaul to charge 8 euros for a 1 mile cab ride I'll never know!! I can walk that distance quicker than the time it would take to order a taxi!I arrived in the afternoon and was asking two pretty teenagers directions to the road I needed. One gives directions, the other translates for me. Alright, Grazie. I was just about to head off when the shuttle from the camp pulls up. Originally the driver wanted to charge me the 8 euros because I didn't actually make a reservation, but after a bit he agreed to take me for nothing. Which was great because although it was far, it was all uphill. So it's $12.50 to use my tent or $15 for a little mobile home with its own shower/toilet. Tough choice! It's a really beutiful place. Lush Tuscan mountains and not much else to ruin the view. Enjoy the sunset with a bottle of Tuscany Red. Listening to the tunes coming from the bar and chat with Darren (England) who is there with his wife and kid looking for a home. But first he has to spend some time getting in good with the locals or else he'll wind up paying twice as much! A little later I met Rose & Lisa (Cape town) who were in the middle of Tour guide boot camp and just jumped ship after deciding it wasn't their thing. Lisa and I wind up playing Italian 8 ball (ya gotta sink the 8 ball in the last pocket you sunk) with a couple of locals. A student and a restaurant owner who is a big jolly guy and kindly buys us a couple of drinks. They are pretty bad pool players, so I miss a few on purpose just to keep things going and amicable. All the while taking in the scene of the mostly locals (the town is so small that they come up to the campsite for entertainment!!) dancing and singing Kareoke. Normally I hate Kareoke, but their was some talent there so it was alright.Next morning got up and swam some laps in the pool after breakfast. Then went for a walk around the hills towards the horse stables. Passed a babbling brook, some abandoned villas, vineyards and farm animals. Pigs, deer, goats, ostriches, a horse and salamander darting every which way. Chilled again on the terrace with Lisa keeping me company.Next morning is a repeat of yesterday. Only today I nearly break my neck coming out the shower in my slaps. It was worse than walking on ice!! Another lazy day out at the pool and a nice pizza dinner with Lisa in a suprislingly nice restaurant for a camp ground. Later met some guys working at the campground. Three English blokes and an Auzzie. I may run into them again since they're based at the Venice Campsite. Next morning woke up, paid the bill and had a cup of coffee with Lisa sharing my last moments in lovely Tuscany. Just missed the 11:30 train so I got on the 1:30, but it was the wrong one!!! Apparently they switched tracks on me at the last moment. No biggy, it just cost me another 2 hours. Eventually made it Rome, but that's another chapter......Ciao.

No comments: