Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A friend of mine who writes for a local newspaper asked me to give him a short summary of the trip. This just came out. For all those who don't have access to The Islander Newspaper, I share it with you.

The inevitable question one receives after returning from a year abroad is, "Are you glad to be home?". Honestly, I must answer that with a "NO!".

I'm glad to be able to see my family and friends, but it would be so much better if they were to come visit me abroad! Things are so much more interesting and alive while traveling. Also, one gets to meet more new friends than Ferris Bueller would accumulate over a lifetime. And every guesthouse Mom & Pop and every hostel Brother & Sister becomes a part of your extended family.

While away friends would tell me that nothing has changed back at home. Now that I have returned, I realize that they are right except that now there are more houses, more businesses and more traffic. I loved growing up on the NJ shore, but it will never be the same and that's a shame.

To anyone who cares to listen I implore you to travel. I was lucky and got away for a long period, but that doesn't really matter. Take whatever time you can put aside and get out there to explore. Forget the itinerary and timetables. Don't plan it all out. Just go and experience the wonderful moments as they occur in the present. You know, the present is a "present". The problem is that if you don't open up your present right away it's gone and you can't get it back. But then it's never too late to learn because there is always another one coming. On the road, if you are mindful, it's easy to enjoy one present after another. It's a parade of gifts and it is definately worth the effort.

After 36 years on this big blue globe, this past year traveling abroad has been the best one yet. Now the only question is "Where to next??". As soon as I come up with an answer I'll see ya on the road.....

No comments: